Undergraduate Admissions Counselor
University of St. Thomas
The University of St. Thomas (UST), a private Catholic University committed to the liberal arts and the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, located in Houston, Texas, near the vibrant central business district, Texas Medical Center, and museum district, is seeking applicants for a full-time Undergraduate Admissions Counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This position reports directly to the Director of Undergraduate Admissions.
POSITION SUMMARY: This full-time position serves as a member of the enrollment management team and incorporates a full range of undergraduate student focused admissions responsibilities including recruitment travel, student interview, presentation of the University to various constituencies in multiple formats, personalized contact with prospective students, parents, advisors and guidance counselors, and evaluation of applications for admissions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: (other duties may be assigned)
- Visits high schools, community colleges, early college high schools and other educational institutions within assigned territory as appropriate based on review of historical and market data and input from supervisor.
- Represent the University at on- and off-campus admissions-related programs and events.
- Review applications for admissions, analyze qualifications and exercise judgment of admissibility.
- In consultation with the Offices of the Registrar and Academic Advising, evaluate college/university transcripts of transfer applicants for credit equivalencies and articulation within institutional SIS.
- Conduct interviews with prospective students and parents, providing accurate information regarding admissions standards, academic and related programs, student life, cost and financial aid.
- Implement follow-up activities including written and electronic correspondence and telephone calls.
- Plan and execute special projects in conjunction with the goals and objectives of the office.
- Works closely with members of the admissions leadership team in the development, implementation and evaluation of the university’s undergraduate strategic recruitment plan and leverage/analysis of enrollment data in the decision making process.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in higher education admissions, public relations, or a related field involving direct contact with students or clients.
- Strong and inspirational communication (verbal and written) skills, customer service oriented personality, attention to detail, and strong problem-solving skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to make presentations to groups of various sizes.
- Familiarity with the University’s mission and values, strategic focus, and history.
- Ability to represent and communicate the university’s mission to prospective students and families.
- Ability to develop congenial and productive working relationships with University of St. Thomas administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work in a goal driven and measured performance environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be well organized and multi-task.
- Intermediate level of proficiency or higher in using Microsoft Office such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A valid driver’s license is required to drive to specific recruiting and event locations.
- Must be able to work extended hours or weekends when necessary for special programs, meetings, projects, and events some of which may require travel.
- Maintain a professional appearance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position is in an active office atmosphere and one must have the ability to navigate stairs and do some light lifting (up to 20 pounds).
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.