The Human Performance Department at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Senior Academic Advisor. This position serves as a member of the Advising Team whose primary responsibility is academic advising for all undergraduate Communication Sciences and Disorders students. This includes maintaining degree works, certifying these students for graduation, New Student Orientation and all other advising activities. Serves as the coordinator of the CPOS degree pursuant process and the transfer student onboarding process. Serves as the coordinator of NSO for all departments. As part of the team, this position is responsible for advising all undergraduate students in Professional Programs and may be assigned other students and duties.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Primary academic advisor for all CSD students. This involves meeting with students prior to each registration period to assure students are taking correct degree pursuant coursework and staying on track to graduate. Counsels students/parents at all times during the term regarding registration, add/drop, and all graduation and registration pertinent information.
- Primary advisor in matriculation planning for students in the programs. Involves setting forth matriculation and degree plans in DegreeWorks. Works to ensure the catalog entries that drive DegreeWorks are accurate and up to date
- Manages term PINS and all registration issues for all Professional Programs. Responsible for ensuring all students are properly registered each term.
- Responsible for approving transient course credit to be equated at WVU for current students taking classes at other colleges/universities.
- Serves as liaison and reference with pre-CSD majors in CLASS.
- Must be knowledgeable and able to advising all other Professional Program students. Additional permanent assignment of students is part of the advising responsibilities.
- Serves as the coordinator and lead advisor for NSO for all programs.
- Attends all NSO meetings and translates and organizes the requirements/processes mandated by downtown NSO. These requirements change for each NSO.
- Meets with all programs in order to organize them for NSO.
- Provides training for each department on new NSO procedures.
- Trains and supervisors the activities of our student NSO guides.
- Serves as the customer service coordinator who interacts with all students and parents in order to resolve issues.
- May do academic presentations during NSO.
- Servers as the coordinator for the CPOS process.
- Manages the transfer admission process and major change process for all undergraduate students. Manages transfer communication plans and initial email correspondence. Serves as the transfer liaison with the University transfer concierge.
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of DegreeWorks requirements in STAR. Works with the Registrar’s Office to ensure that all updates to programs are accurately and timely reflected in this system.
- Advises students on degree completion requirements and graduation process. Serves as back up academic advisor.
Pay Grade: 16
- Master’s degree;
- Two (2) years of experience:
- Higher education experience including academic advising;
- Customer service experience;
- Student Information System experience including BANNER.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must exhibit professional behavior and demeanor at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage and complete multiple tasks at the same time.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems independently.
- Ability to self-start and prioritize work.
- Knowledge of STAR/BANNER including DegreeWorks, BDMS, Target X.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Mar 31, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes