Posting Number: 2100401
Job Category: Staff
Department: Social Work
Provides academic advisement and intervention to support student success for prospective and current students of Western New Mexico University.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides academic guidance, assistance, and advising to new, current, probationary, and returning students.
- Assists students with course selection and schedule adjustments based on known as well as unknown major.
- Provides academic support and advice including explaining and assisting with procedures for student appeals, academic student and faculty issues and concerns, career planning, academic choices, and degree audits, and assists with resolving issues and facilitating planning.
- Meets with prospective students to discuss the student’s career and/or academic goals and objectives with respect to Western New Mexico University’s program offerings.
- Schedules advisement appointments with students. Provides guidance and advice for methods to improve academic performance.
- Answers inquiries from prospective students about academic programs, including inquiries related to licensure for professional programs.
- Performs informal transfer evaluations to draft degree plans for students prior to admission and/or prior to completion of an official transfer evaluation.
- Performs short term crisis intervention advising for students in personal areas including but not limited to stress management, self-esteem, time management, anxiety, and life change adjustments. Refers students to appropriate social service agency, community service, or support organization.
- Acts as a contact person between the University community and local community. Participates in recruitment activities. Serves on faculty and staff committees, advisory boards, and process management teams.
- Responsible for Program Development including Academic Alert, orientation, and/or manual updating.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Job Knowledge: Knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, and methods of advising. Knowledge of the basic program content and requirements of degrees offered. Considerable knowledge of college readiness standards and initiatives. Ability to keep complex records, to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships. Ability to work independently with little to no supervision. Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed. Must have solid demonstrated knowledge of administrative functions. Must be knowledgeable of University policies. Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Must be able to handle multiple deadlines and maintain accuracy. Must be sensitive to cultural differences within the University and community. Fluent in Microsoft Office Applications.
- Working Conditions/Physical Demands (With or Without Accommodations): Normal office, may travel some within the community when needed. May be required to lift normal office equipment and materials. Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information. Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication. Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions. Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting. May be required to work additional hours or days depending on circumstances.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in related field with 2 years of experience in a college level academic support setting. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Limited Term Full-Time w/Benefits
Western New Mexico University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are especially encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, handicap or national origin.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.