University of St. Thomas
International Student Advisor
Office of International Student and Scholar Services
The University of St. Thomas (www.stthom.edu), a private Catholic university, located in Houston, Texas, the nation’s fourth largest city, committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education, is seeking a full-time International Student Advisor as a member of the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. The position reports directly to the Director, International Student and Scholar Services.
International Student Advisor serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) and possibly Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) and is responsible for advising F and J visa holders on related immigration regulations and institutional policies, overseeing Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) compliance and reporting, advising students on their academic progress, and coordinating programs in collaboration with other departments.
- Advise F and J visa holders on related immigration regulations and procedures, including, but not limited to, maintaining their immigration status, employment authorizations, U.S. entry and re-entry documents, and changing immigration status to F or J status.
- Serve as an academic advisor for international students. Support the Office of Academic Advising on enrollment days and meet with international students during academic advising periods.
- Serve as a DSO and ARO and maintain student and school information on SEVIS and in student files in compliance with federal regulations and guidance
- Organize orientation and workshops for F and J visa holders in regards to immigration, employment, and tax filing.
- Maintain effective communication with international students via email, website, student forms, etc.
- Collaborate with other departments to improve procedures, resolve issues, and develop programs related to international students
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident per federal regulations
- Minimum of two years of direct experience in international student advising
- Superior skills in organization, attention to detail, written and oral communication, and critical/analytical thinking
- Ability to multi-task, work with minimal supervision, and develop positive and collaborative relationships with colleagues
- Ability to speak a second language would be preferred.
- Intermediate-level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and SEVIS; experience with PeopleSoft is preferred
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.https://www.applicantpro.com/j/1895084-332676