Columbia Southern University
Job Title:Director of Academic Advising Center
Academic Advising Center
Reports to: Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Hours: Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and Friday 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM (extended hours
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Under the direction of the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, the Director plans, coordinates, and supervises operations of the
Academic Advising Center. The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of applicable academic policies and processes.
Works collaboratively with academics and administration to advise students, thus promoting student success, completion, and satisfaction.
The Director must maintain a student-centered focus within the department, understand all retention functions, and continually work to
improve these functions, understand, and manage all student processes and procedures facilitated by the department.
Essential Job Tasks Additional duties may be assigned
- Responsible for the development of a comprehensive
plan for academic advising grounded in best practices and research using expert knowledge of the institution’s organizational
structure, curriculum, programs and policies, academic and training opportunities and requirements.
- Establishes and implements
performance metrics for the Academic Advising Center to align with university expectations. Provide direction to academic advisors and
students via text, email, telephone, individual or group sessions and foster a community of collaboration that focuses on student success,
satisfaction, persistence and retention.
- Responsible for remote and on-site Advisor and Academic Advising leadership scheduling,
quality assurance checks, and cultural engagement.
- Directs preparation of statistical reports on educational activities for
government and educational agencies and interprets registration and policies to administration, faculty, staff, and students.
- Participates in the development of departmental leadership and management; sets future direction and goals; makes effective and
efficient use of resources.
- Provides vision, leadership, planning, direction, and review of student support operations in a
university environment, which strives to be student-centered.
- Serves as a member of university administrative leadership engaged in
strategic planning, decision-making, policy development, and problem-solving for university-wide initiatives.
- Serves on select
- Performs other functions as required by the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, the Provost and Chief
Academic Officer, or any other executive leadership.
To perform this
job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative
of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives
and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and
group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make
decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in
decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and
analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when
dealing with emotional topics.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness;
Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets
- Leadership – Accepts feedback, gives appropriate recognition to
others, and delegates effectively.
- Critical Thinking – Uses logic and reasoning to look at different types of information in order
to make conclusions and work through problems.
- Research – Locates key facts and information in order to learn more about different
types of information.
- Interpersonal Skills – communicates and interacts with people effectively while being aware of social
- Time Management – Manages one’s own time to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Attention to Detail -
Thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task ensuring all aspects are reviewed.
- Written Comprehension -The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression -
The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension – The ability to listen
to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression – The ability to communicate
information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time
efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops
realistic action plans.
- Selective Attention (Vigilance) – The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being
Education & Experience Master’s degree required; Doctorate degree preferred, and
four (4) to ten (10) years related experience and/or training specific to academic and student support services.
- Office equipment including computers, telephones, and printers.
- Software used includes
Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Blackboard, and internal database software.
sitting, occasional walking and lifting, and frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. The noise level is generally
Supervises the team managers and
training and development coordinator. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations’ policies and
Columbia Southern University is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or need assistance in completing the application, including reasonable accommodations, please email the Human Resources department or call 800-977-8449.