- Admin – Academic Advising
- Admin – Career Development and Services
Open Until Filled
48000 USD Per Year
Capitol Technology University, a nonprofit university located in Laurel, Maryland, seeks an
Assistant Director of Doctoral Student Support for the Office of Student Life, under the Dean of Students.
The following are primary duties:
- Assist in the development and
implementation of doctoral student orientation and transition services
- Provide planning and logistical support for residency
weekends three times a year
- Work in collaboration with the Dean of Doctoral Studies and doctoral faculty to establish a community
of scholars by implement programming and events (speakers, roundtables, discussions, newsletters).
- Review and update Guide to
Doctoral Learning (formerly Doctoral Student Handbook).
- Maintain records related to non-course doctoral milestones, assigned
chairs, and assigned committee members
- Facilitate clear, timely, accurate communication, and maintain documentation regarding
registration periods and processes, non-course doctoral milestones, assigned chairs, and assigned committee members to students.
- Maintain systematic interaction with approximately 300 doctoral students and maintain accurate and detailed records of student
- Assist doctoral students in navigating university administrative functions and interpreting university policy.
- Monitor doctoral student engagement in courses to identify and contact students missing semester milestones.
- Serve as an
advocate and ombudsman for doctoral students.
- Support institutional and program assessment by using reports to monitor retention
and student success.
- Monitor Student Information System (SIS) processes/reports for tracking doctoral students from admission to
- Monitor Student Information System (SIS) processes/ reports for tracking dissertation chairs and committee
- Assist with course scheduling to ensure students have access to needed courses.
The following are primary qualifications:
- Master’s degree required
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally to a student population
- Ability to facilitate virtual meetings using
Zoom, MS Teams, UMX and Skype for Business
- At least one year in an advising, counseling or coaching
- Ability to prioritize
work, organize materials and tasks and meet deadlines
- Interest in or understanding of the needs of adult students learning at a
- Strong problem solving skills
- Flexibility to meet the needs of a changing environment
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Demonstrated dedication, initiative,
confidentiality and the ability to learn
There are limited physical demands;
however, this position requires sitting or standing occasionally for extended periods of time, and repetitive motions for tasks such as
operating a computer mouse and keyboard, and hearing and speaking on the telephone. The candidate must be able to lift, pull, bend, grasp,
and occasionally lift up to 20 pounds, with or without accommodation.
Capitol Technology University
11301 Springfield Road
Laurel, MD 20708
Capitol Technology University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce. As stated in our Equal Employment Policy, part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, Capitol Technology University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and/or expression), pregnancy, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion or similar philosophical beliefs, disability, marital and civil union status, age, genetic information, veteran status, personal political views or any personal attribute or characteristic that is protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.