Augustana College is a private, selective, residential college of the liberal arts and sciences with enrollment of 2600 students. Our beautiful residential 115-acre campus is located in Rock Island, Illinois, part of the Quad Cities metropolitan area along the Mississippi River, 165 miles west of Chicago. Augustana awards the Bachelor of Arts in about 90 majors and related academic programs. Our diverse student body, includes 26 percent first generation college students, 23 percent Pell Grant students, 24 percent students of color, and 12 percent international students.
As part of the Augustana 2020 Strategic Plan, the campus has committed to growing as a community who welcomes and includes those historically underrepresented groups on our campus. Information on these initiatives and future plans can be found at: http://www.augustana.edu/about-us/president/diversity.
Employees at Augustana enjoy an excellent benefit package including medical, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefits for employees and their family members, and much more. Relocation assistance is available for this position as needed.
Status: Exempt, Full-time administrative position, 12-month work schedule
Wage Grade: 740
Reports To: Director of Advising
Overview: The Offices of Academic Support, Advising, Disability Services, and the Reading/Writing Center comprise the Learning Commons. The Learning Commons is a one-stop shop where professional staff and peer tutors partner with students as they develop and refine academic skills, take ownership of their learning, and cultivate habits of life-long engagement in intellectual growth.
The Advisor and Coordinator of Transitional Advising works closely with the Director of Advising to ensure each Augustana student has an advising experience that enriches their growth and development. Specifically, the Coordinator of Transitional Advising facilitates the smooth transition of new first-year and transfer students from tuition deposit to matriculation. The Coordinator is responsible for preparing students to register for their first semester of Augustana coursework, oversees the registration process, and ensures each student is assigned a first-year or transfer advisor and peer mentor. The Coordinator collaborates with the Director of Advising to facilitate professional development and support for all first-year and transfer advisors equipping them to provide holistic support and anticipate the needs of new students. The Coordinator also collaborates with the Office of Student Life and Leadership to train and support peer mentors who partner with advisors as part of each student’s support network. The Advisor and Coordinator of Transitional Advising collaborates with administrative and student-facing departments across campus to orchestrate a comprehensive institutional plan of communications to incoming students to both disseminate critical instructions to and collect necessary information from incoming students.
- Coordinates planning and logistics across campus to implement a comprehensive and cohesive institutional plan of communication and support for incoming students from the time of tuition deposit through arrival on campus to begin coursework.
- Collaborates with the Offices of Admissions and Communications & Marketing to develop and maintain engaging web content to guide incoming students through required processes prior to enrollment and arrival on campus.
- Coordinates and implements all processes and activities necessary to register incoming first-year and transfer students for their first semester of Augustana coursework. Activities and processes include communication of requirements to students, coordinating placement exams as necessary, collaboration with academic departments to determine accurate course placement, and coordinating pre-registration advising and registration for all incoming students.
- Collaborates with the Office of Academic Affairs to ensure seat availability in appropriate gateway courses for first-year students and bottleneck courses in majors for transfer students.
- Collaborates with the Dean of Students Office and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to coordinate orientation programming for incoming students and families.
- Collaborates with the Office of Student Life and Leadership to coordinate pre-registration and registration activities with student arrival on campus for Welcome Week (Fall semester) and Spring Welcome (Spring semester) activities.
- Maintains accurate Major Requirements resources for advisor and advisee use.
- Collaborates with the Director of Advising to recruit and train first-year and transfer advisors.
- Collaborates with the Office of Student Life and Leadership to recruit and train peer mentors who will work with advisors to support advisees.
- Works collaboratively with Office of Advising staff on day-to-day functions of the office.
- Advises and supports students on Academic Probation as assigned
- Represents the Office of Advising at Admissions events on a rotating basis.
- Participates on committees as needed and/or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s Degree in a related field (i.e. Student Personnel, Counseling, Communication, Higher Education Administration, etc).
- 3-5 years of academic advising experience; experience advising students in a residential liberal arts setting preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of student development theories, NACADA principles, and best practices in advising and supporting student persistence and success
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, including using Excel to monitor large data sets. Experience using Google suite is preferred.
- Experience using SIS, CRM, and Early alert platforms. Colleague, Slate, and Starfish experience is preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication across varied audiences including students, parents and families, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Strong organizational skills to simultaneously manage multiple projects while demonstrating attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify and/or predict problems and exercise professional judgement to problem solve effectively
- Demonstrated efficiency working independently and collaboratively
- Demonstration of working knowledge of the academic discipline of student advising in a higher ed setting
Physical Requirements: This position is located on campus and works in a traditional office environment. The below requirements are expected:
- Able to frequently move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Consistently operates a computer and other office machinery such as printer, copy machine, calculator, and other equipment
- Frequently communicates with students who have program inquiries or campus related issues. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations in person, or by video or phone.
- Frequently moves office and meeting supplies weighing up to 25 pounds across campus for various events or meetings.
Special Requirements: The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check. Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Augustana College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Augustana College provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, and any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vita, and statement of advising philosophy along with contact information for three professional references.