Position Number: 988196
Home Org/Dept: University Advising and Testing- Kent Campus 
Location: Kent Campus – Kent, OH
Work Type: Staff/Unclassified
Physical Location: Kent, Ohio
Provide academic advising to a diverse population of students. Reports to designated supervisor.
Additional Basic Function – if applicable:
THIS IS AN ON-CALL/AS-NEEDED PART-TIME TERM ASSIGNMENT UP TO 28 HOURS PER WEEK.
Examples of Duties:
Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Advise current and prospective students regarding interpretation of placement assessment, curricular requirements related to academic objectives, career options and registration procedures.
- Work with students to request a variety of academic actions.
- Assist in the implementation of intervention, referral, and retention programs for students.
- Assist with probation, dismissal, and reinstatement procedures; provide feedback on specific cases.
- Review student academic progress and advise students on specific actions regarding academic and career goals.
- Review/discuss evaluated transcripts for applicability of transfer credit to Kent State.
- Assist with workshops on academic skills, study skills, and expectations for students.
- Assist students in resolution of difficulties regarding their degree progress.
- May assist and/or coordinate lessons for student orientation course.
- May represent unit at programs and functions.
- Stay current on applicable laws, policies and procedures (e.g. FERPA).
- Maintain and update student files, records and data in accordance with federal, state and university regulations.
- May serve on various college/school/campus committees and share information with unit.
- Assist in academic advising and recruiting programs and activities (e.g. student events, outreach programs and activities, etc.).
- Attend and successfully complete university-provided training and professional development
- May conduct athletic eligibility audits to ensure NCAA regulatory compliance (Kent Campus only).
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field is required. Ability to learn and/or develop core advising competencies including, but not limited to – policies/procedures/curriculum associated with assigned area (university, regional campus, college, school); technology/systems proficiency; KSU organizational knowledge; student development theory; etc. is required.
Desktop software (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite); web-based systems; ability to learn KSU student systems *
Higher education learning models/programs, schools/colleges; organizational structure *
Curriculum/college/department/campus/school; ability to learn and understand the complexity of curriculum in assigned area(s); including understanding degree requirements and knowledge of assigned area(s) majors *
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills / public relations skills – including group presentation skills *
- Communication/conflict management *
- Organizing information and projects; ability to assist in delivery of projects/programs *
- Well-developed problem solving skills with basic ability to identify and mitigate complex problem(s) and use the full array of organizational resources appropriately *
- Adhering to deadlines
- Working effectively both independently and in collaborative groups
- Learn and/or develop core advising competencies, including: policies/procedures/curriculum associated with assigned area (university, regional campus, college, school); technology/systems proficiency; higher education organizational knowledge including basic working knowledge of higher education referral network and resources; student development theory; leadership styles and theories *
- Learn/apply basic student recruitment / outreach / retention functions *
- Work with diverse populations of students to identify basic student needs for referrals using appropriate academic and career resources *
- Work collaboratively with university departments and academic units; ability to build basic awareness of resources and initiate relationship building process *
- Organize and prioritize work with a high degree of initiative and independence *
- Analyze and perform basic research on a variety of academic program issues *
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Possess considerable attention to detail, a high level of quality control, and maintain a high customer-focus with contacts *
- Assimilate and maintain confidential data *
- Manage multiple projects, assignments, and responsibilities *
- Attend and successfully complete university-provided training and professional development *
- Learn and apply confidentiality/FERPA *
- Learn and understand the full array of career advising services and ability to apply based on individual student needs *
- Adhere to deadlines
- Learn probation, dismissal and reinstatement procedures *
- Learn and understand the complexity of curriculum in assigned area(s); including understanding degree requirements *
Preferred Qualifications – if applicable:
Post baccalaureate coursework and experience working with students.
Asterisk (*) indicates knowledge, skills, abilities which require assessments
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
Light work-Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Incumbent must be able to communicate with others. Incumbent may be required to travel from building to building frequently and off campus occasionally.
THIS IS AN ON-CALL/AS-NEEDED PART-TIME TERM ASSIGNMENT.
Must pass a security check.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For official job descriptions, visit www.kent.edu/hr.
Kent State University is a Smoke-Free, Tobacco-Free University effective July 1, 2017. Smoking and tobacco use are not permitted on any of Kent State’s campuses or other locations and properties that are owned, operated, or leased by Kent State, both domestic and international. For additional details, visit www.kent.edu/smoke-free.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.