For more information on ORP, visit
Position Number: FAB730
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery – the
hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for
diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers
employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Student Success is at the core of VCU’s new strategic plan – Quest
2025: Together We Transform. To ensure each VCU student finds success on their individualized path, it is imperative that we establish a
campus environment that eliminates artificial barriers to degree progression/graduation, nurtures student engagement both with faculty and
our community, develops cultural competency in our graduates, and creates opportunities to experiment and develop tangible and intangible
skills related to their future career goals.
Student Success Academic Advisor positions provide academic advising and first year
success course instruction to students. Each advisor is assigned a caseload of students that they are required to meet with at least once
per semester as well as a designated team within the unit based on experience and background. These four teams are:
- Pre-health majors (freshmen-seniors)
- Foundation/Pre-professional students (freshmen &
- Undeclared majors (freshmen-seniors)
academic advising services to assigned students regarding departmental, collegiate, and University policies and procedures; programs of
study; and the development of appropriate academic plans in a meeting with students on assigned caseload at least once a semester.
- Introduce students to opportunities that will enrich their academic experience, facilitate their academic and personal development, and
support their educational success.
- Assist students in identifying their interests, abilities, and academic goals and in making
decisions regarding their academic career.
- Teach students how to manage the college experience, navigate the University, make
informed decisions, and assume responsibility for their academic success.
- Maintain accurate and confidential records of student
information, including all advising interactions.
- Monitor student progression in degree program to establish advising checkpoints
and determine student’s progress in completing degree requirements.
- Use the Student Success Collaborative (SSC/Navigate) advising
platform to establish targeted student populations on caseload for more intensive advising.
- Identify and assist struggling or
at-risk students including making appropriate referrals to other university resources and contacting continuing students who do not register
- Write letters of recommendation and letters of support for student appeals.
- Assist students in completing
- Teach first-year student success courses.
- Collaborate with university partners on matters that
impact student recruitment, success, and retention and support departmental and university retention initiatives.
- Participate in
recruitment activities, programs, and initiative including providing advising information to prospective students and/or parents at various
meetings such as New Student Orientation.
- Participate in and provide feedback on training and professional development
Minimum Hiring Standards
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in a college or
university setting. Experience as a Graduate Assistant will be considered as well.
- Master’s degree from an accredited
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do
so as a staff member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Master’s degree in discipline of interest.
- Demonstrated experience providing academic, career, or individualized counseling in asocial services or K-20 education setting.
- Demonstrated experience teaching.
Anticipated Hiring Range: Up to $40,000
Campus: Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours:
Posting will close on or before
VCU is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for employees, students, visitors, and patients. As a part of this effort, a criminal records check is a condition of employment at VCU for all new employees. Criminal records checks also are conducted on current employees hired into “sensitive” or “resource critical” positions. Note: only job-related convictions may impact your progress through the employment process. It is important for you to know also that falsification of any information is grounds for termination of employment.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.