Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada is seeking applicants for an Academic Advisor.
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in education, student development or a related field.
2. One year experience as an Academic Advisor in a college or university setting.
1. One year community college experience.
2. One year experience working with PeopleSoft.
3. Bilingual skills preferred.
4. Master’s degree in education or counseling field from an accredited institution preferred.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
1. Advise new, prospective, and transfer students.
2. Assist students with educational planning, goal setting and degree options.
3. Assist in the graduation application review process to ensure students have sufficient credit to complete their desired degree.
4. Work in a collaborative manner with Advising staff to ensure information given to students is accurate and timely.
5. Answer questions students have through advising slips.
6. Work at the Quick Question desk in the front office to assist students who have quick questions and do not need a 30 minute appointment.
7. Present and assist in our New Student Orientations.
8. Help students understand accuplacer scores so they are properly placed into the correct English and Math.
9. Assist students with their MyTMCC so they are informed on running an AAR, My Planner and enrolling into classes.
10. Assist students who have the Excess Credit fee and need to fill out an appeal.
11. Place substitutions for students who have courses transferred in that are similar by nature to our courses.
12. Attend professional development workshops and conferences to enhance the quality of Academic Advising.
13. Utilize student systems (i.e. PeopleSoft, OnBase, TES) to advise students and maintain accurate records
14. The Academic Advisor is also a member of the Curriculum Review Committee (CRC) and is responsible for providing advising expertise that relate to the courses, certificates, and degrees up for review.
15 Other duties as assigned.
Salary Information: $48,298 Salary placement is dependent on education and experience
In the Resume/Cover Letter section of the application each of the following must be attached.
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. Search committees will use this information to determine that applicants meet minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement.
This posting will close at 12:00 am on the date listed above. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 pm the day prior.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received prior to the closing date listed on the job announcement.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check upon hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.