About Us: Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provide in-depth, specialized, and/or comprehensive advising to faculty and students regarding class choices, curriculum options, majors, departmental and University policies and procedures, and other academic needs.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
60 % of Time Academic Advisor will:
- Maintain positive connections with faculty and staff in focus area to facilitate student connections.
- Coordinate communication of information related to important dates, deadlines and procedures to advisees.
- Monitors student progress and suggests and implements corrective actions with students encounter academic difficulties. Meets with students with academic probation suspension or academic misconduct issues.
- Keeps current on university and college policies and procedures, and rules and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements.
- Acts as a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various university and college sponsored orientations and events.
35% of Time Academic Advisor:
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with all departments in advisors’ assigned caseload.
- Participates in creation of new-student orientations (First-Year, Transfer, and Long-Distance).
- Support the coordination and ongoing development of student success initiatives including but not limited to: Bronco Gap Year, Bronco Day, Bronco Social, and Bronco Welcome programs.
- Assist in outreach, services, and programming for specific student populations, including first-year and transfer students. This may include College-owned majors and minors.
- Participate in university committees and other activities that support the mission of the unit and University.
5% of Time Academic Advisor:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- The ability to effectively communicate information and ideas
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the tasks at hand
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
- Good knowledge of: discussing career and educational goals with students; identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
- Experience: in student counseling, development, education or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Master’s Degree in education, student affairs, higher education administration or similar field strongly preferred.
1-2 years advising experience in higher education or similar student services experience.
Experience or interest advising in STEM or Arts fields preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is $42,910.40. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
Required Application Materials:
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, along with 3 references.
Boise State University is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and nominations of women, persons of color, and members of other underrepresented groups. EOE/AA Institution. Veterans preference may be applicable.