Job Title: Academic Advisor
Job ID: 22457
Location: School of Professional Studies
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of
Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and
master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only
undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an
associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change
The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more
than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and
grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation,
which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students.
CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World
Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked in the top 2% in the nation on the
publisher’s list of the 2021 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
Reporting to the Director of Academic Advisement,
the Academic Advisor will work as a member of an advisement team to provide proactive academic advising to support the success of
undergraduate CUNY SPS students. To facilitate the transition of incoming students, the Academic Advisor will meet with incoming students to
review their transfer credit evaluations and develop an academic plan to meet their degree requirements. Throughout the students’ academic
career, the Academic Advisor will continue to provide proactive advisement to support their students’ progress to graduation. The Academic
Advisor will ensure awareness of general college policies and connect students to support services as needed and work closely with academic
departments and offices to maintain accurate information about programs and services.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview,
responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain a student case load and provide proactive academic
advisement according to degree requirements via in-person, phone, and Skype appointments
- Assist the Director of Academic Advisement
with the transition of newly admitted students
- Assist probationary students to help them overcome obstacles to success
- Monitor progress towards degree completion and collaborate on special interventions with student services or career services
- Participate in retention specific projects such as early alerts, non-participation and obstacles to success
- Maintain and update
student records and data accurately and timely in CUNYFirst and DegreeWorks
- Identify, recommend, and participate in professional
- Conduct transfer credit evaluations and discuss specific academic plans with prospective students
- Coordinate and collaborate on initiatives, events, and programs that promote student persistence and progress toward degree
- Provide timely and accurate information to student inquiries
- Provide regular reports and accurate data
regarding student case load
- Sustain an accurate, up-to-date body of knowledge about specific curricula in relevant areas
- Establish and cultivate relationships with administrators and faculty to ensure accurate and timely communication of student needs and
- Represent Academic Advisement at programs and functions such as student life events, recruitments, and graduation
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
The preferred candidate will
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Experience with Nursing and Health related professions
- Proficiency in PeopleSoft Oracle based systems such as CUNYfirst
- Proficiency in degree audit systems such as DegreeWorks
- Ability to establish and cultivate collaborative working relationships with academic offices, administrators, staff and students
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a student-centered, time-sensitive and
- Ability to work evening hours and weekends as necessary
- Strong communication, interpersonal and
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students
with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely
referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students’ educational progress by conducting
academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience up $65,492.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional
development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate
study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the
opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log
in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using Job ID# 22457 or Title. Select “Apply Now” and provide the requested
Please attach resume and cover letter.
June 29, 2021
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our
protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including
sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.