Closing Date/Time: Mon. 05/31/21 11:59 PM Hawaii Time
Job Type: Staff -
Regular Full Time Exempt
Location: HPU Downtown Campus; Honolulu, Hawaii
academic advising services primarily to new, transfer, visiting, special status, and continuing undeclared undergraduate student
populations. Closely collaborates with other professional and faculty academic advisors, as well as other stakeholders within the university
community. Participates in advisor training, grounded in best practices and research in advising, retention, and student success.
Participates in advising seminars and workshops, events, and other advising related initiatives. Represents Academic Advising on university
- Bachelor’s Degree
in any field from an accredited university or equivalent education/training or experience.
- One or more years of experience working
in academic support services, counseling, training, customer service, or related field.
- Master’s Degree with a specialization in student services, counseling, education, or related
- Two years’ experience providing academic advising or counseling in post-secondary setting.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship and relocation
allowance is not available for this position.
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may require work during HPU’s
winter break, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other
locations as required by the position. This includes a valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle that is legally registered and
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that
utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to
effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to establish and develop productive and collegial
relationships, collaboration, and communication with university constituencies (i.e. staff, faculty, students, etc.) and building effective
teams as needed.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
1. Academic Advising (75%)
and familiarize students with technology tools and other available resources (e.g., Banner, Degree Works, Academic Catalog) to assist
students degree planning.
- Advise students about registration policies and procedures.
- Advise students about transfer credit
policies and procedures.
- Advise students about graduation requirements (i.e., general education, lower, and upper division course
requirements, overall credit requirements, and residency requirements).
- Communicate with students, both orally and in
- Document students’ progression toward degree completion.
- Prepare and process Electronic General Petitions for
course substitutions and residency waivers.
- Support students who are underperforming academically (e.g., students on academic
probation) by creating academic success plans and tracking their progress.
- Advise students about academic suspension appeal policies
- Assist students with course registration as requested.
2. Coordination and collaboration across
- Collaborate with other student support services toward the common goal of student success, retention, and
- Participate in seminars and workshops for professional and faculty advisors.
- Represent academic advising
on university committees and events.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
- Participate in assessment
and strategic planning for continuous improvement of academic advising services.
- Perform other duties, as
3. Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
- Actively participates as an effective member
of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
- Assists with seasonal peaks.
description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties,
responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai’i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin,
sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class
covered by state and federal law. Hawai’i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A
pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
© Copyright 2021 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.